Friday 8 April 2022

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

South Scarborough

Not Mundane

It was good to see my dear godbrother. He’s a successful real estate agent. We had travelled together in the ’70s, engaged in sankirtan; the sharing of high consciousness to others. I stayed a monk. He got married and went into business.

I had called him up two days ago, letting him know that we desperately need a facility for an expanding community in Scarborough. “We are looking for a place to gather where people of the bhakti yoga tradition can hold chanting sessions, hear classes on the culture, and also have space for Sunday School.”

“I’ll try my best to help.” he replied.

So, I received a call the next day. “I found a church, a school, lots of parking. Good neighbours. No taxes. Perfect zoning!” is what my friend had to say.

Immediately I got exited when I was forwarded the images of the place; externally and internally. I called our management team. We got together – had a look. We were inspired but the price is too steep, unless some benevolent and generous person comes forward. If this location doesn’t work, we’ll keep looking. We need space we can call our own, desperately.

Anyway, what my friend was able to do, in showing us this building, is called bhakti or spiritual service. Even though one may be tied to the world of business, it doesn’t mean the endeavour is devoid of devotion. Let us all keep that in mind. When the intent is for God, no effort is mundane.

May the Source be with you!


 

No comments: