Thursday 28 April 2022

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Ramsden Park, Toronto

Prepare

I was proud of myself, trekking with cane across the street to a green space. Gabriel came to join me. He is employed with DOOR DASH but made the time to sit with me at a park’s bench to read from the most holy Bhagavatam.

In the course of his reading a wise woman, strolling with her dog, approached us. “You see that there?” as she pointed to the grass.

“You mean the bird?”

“Yes. A robin, an albino. This is her turf. She and her mate come here all the time. You see, she has white feathers. They say it is one in 30,000 that are like that.”

Gabriel and I thanked her for the education, as we were also becoming more enlightened by the story of Puranjan, from the Bhagavatam. The tale, while largely allegorical, tells of the city of nine gates. At one juncture of Gabriel’s reading, I suggested we move forward. My knee craved for more mobility.

So, near the dog park I noticed an artist friend. He’s great at sketching portraits. He’s done mine. Regardless, we caught up on the latest personal news. He noted my walking with a cane.

“My second knee,” I told him, “A replacement.”

“It’s aging that does it,” he remarked.

That moment of truth kicks in on two levels. Number 1) We are getting older. Number 2) We want to deny it like crazy. It is a mental game of “yes, but no.”

We need to simply prepare ourselves for this truth.

May the source be with you!



 

 

No comments: