Monday 4 April 2022

Thursday, March 31, 2022

East of Yonge

Sweet Pear Bits

I had a sore craving for some leftover pear slices in the lunch room’s fridge. It was after midnight and insomnia hit me so I made it down the stairs, picked up two garbage bags outside Govinda’s Restaurant, which is adjoined to our ashram, to toss in the trash room. The bowl of small pear bits was still there. I transferred them into a small katori dish and made my way up with the fruit securely in hand.

The clock had turned to be April Fool’s Day and I don’t think within the somewhat strict regimen of the ashram that I was foolish at all for my minor nibble-break. I didn’t even feel guilty. Happy, actually! I was reminiscing about the morning before. Fancy that – I was on a Zoom call with some Scottish seniors from the actual highlands over the Atlantic. This group of inter-faith folk were curious about my monastic life, my walks and in general; what does my day look like on the average?

It was a cozy conversation. They had question and my responses seemed to comfort. I shared some thoughts:

1) God or Krishna gives each and every one of us the gifts of physical, intellectual, and emotional power. We catch it, process it, individualize and send a meagre portion back to Him. It’s called bhakti; love.

2) We don’t die. Our bodies do. We move on to greener pastures; greener than the Highlands.

3) In our mature years we gather our collective wisdom and experience, then, with that ammunition, fight off the last of our little demons’ clearing the internal clutter before making our exit to love.

Those pear bits were yummy.

May the Source be with you!

5 km



 

No comments: