Monday 4 April 2022

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Rosedale, Toronto

I Love It

It was dark but the night was still fairly young when Vallabha and I were strolling through a pedestrian lane in Rosedale, when three young women, arm in arm, were oncoming. One of the girls took notice of my saffron and just lit up. “I love it!” she blurted out.

And then a young man carrying his disassembled bike also noted my monastic duds and asked, “Are you a Hare Krishna monk?” And, “Indeed!” I clarified. I was happy he didn’t deliver the usual line, “Are you Buddhist?” Afterall, Buddhists aren’t the only monks on the planet. I believe it’s important to offer some exposure and let the public know there is a Krishna culture out there.

It’s with great pleasure and pride that I walk the streets and parks in traditional attire. I am passionate about Krishna being known and, eventually, understood. It is in sharing that He gets pleased. Check 18.68 to understand what I’m saying. That’s in the Gita.

While we are at the notion of sharing, I wanted to share something I read today about sacrifice, change or transformation. From Bhagavad-gita: As It Is our guru, Prabhupada, offers to say this from verse 3.11. “By performance of sacrifice, all activities become purified. One’s eatables become sanctified, and by eating sanctified foodstuffs one’s very existence becomes purified; by the purification of existence finer tissues in the memory become sanctified, and when memory is sanctified one can think of the path of liberation, and all these combined together lead to Krishna consciousness, the great necessity of the present-day society.”

May the Source be with you!

3 km


 

No comments: