Friday 15 April 2022

Monday, April 11, 2022

243 Ave. Rd., Toronto

Bhakti Academy

It was a grand fest to honour Lord Ram. From the quarters where I stay in the temple/ashram complex I could hear, one floor below, the beautiful chants, a talk delivered by a visiting friend from Florida, Kalakantha, that triggered applause, and the sounds of drums and bells.

“I’m missing it all,” I contested, due to my inability to walk around. I’m crutch dependent.

I opened the doors to hear more and perhaps peak at the crowd from an above angle and then it hit me – an immediate whiff of collective bodies. The temple room below is so jam-packed with people. It was much like the crowds on Krishna’s birthday. “Happy Janmasthami!” At least it felt like that.

People were just so thrilled to be together again after the two-year light-and-hard curfew.

Anyways, I had to close the door. The body-smell was a slight-bit noxious.

So back to Kalakantha. He’s a real gentleman, and he came all the way up to Canada to help us structure a Bhakti Academy in Toronto. It is a three-month training of bhakti for younger folks who are working, going to school, or want the full-on experience of a monk’s life.

We so much wanted to offer this program after months and months of renovations in the basement. We wanted to make our place more of a learning centre as opposed to just a place of mantra and worship. So Kalal is laying the ground work. We are grateful.

May the Source be with you!


 

No comments: