Wednesday 8 December 2021

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Burnaby, British Columbia

Exam Preparation

At UBC a group of fifty to sixty young, Indian students came together for a Hindu collaboration, which included mostly devotional songs. It was indoors, Diwali-like in atmosphere, and timed just before exams. Iskcon was invited, which became my inclusion. Someone from our Burnaby community, by the name of Visudha Sattva, scheduled kirtan chanting sessions at our temple. He sang and then had me slotted in for a turn.

Clearly, I could see our own boys, who are great drummers, getting into the groove. Respectfully, those who weren’t so familiar with our usual ISKCON style, listened but weren’t sure just when to respond and join in. when it came my turn, I just asked everyone to stand up (get out of sitar-playing sit-down mode) and readied everyone for some movement. I thought that’s what everyone needed – some mobility. I asked the boys to tap and get the rhythm going on the drums as I gave instructions how to step and move.

All went well. Then the next step was to incorporate the mantra and things began to gel. Everyone was activated. Voices could be heard through those mesh-like masks. All were playing and moving forward and back in a modified hokey-pokey style. It was fun. It was engaging. It was a sweat. It was liked. My stiff knees liked it.

From there an appetite was built up and everyone indulged in blessed food; Krishna prasadam. Good luck on all the exams, participants.

May the Source be with you!

3 km


 

No comments: