Tuesday 28 December 2021

Saturday, December 25, 2021

Etobicoke, Ontario

 

Quietest Day

 

This is the quietest day of the year. Even Walmart is closed. This, then, is a time, a mere 24 hours, when people have a greed-break. However, tomorrow, the 26th, all hell breaks loose again. It is Boxing Day.

 

Boxing Day started when the rich gave their servants boxes of gifts, gestures of appreciation. I consider my gift at Christmas/Boxing Day time to have good health, to be able to lead the singing of a song with chorus (mantras), to be able to go on Zoom, on the phone, delivering a class on Krishna Consciousness and to go for a walk.

 

Our programs have somewhat canceled out due to the newly arrived virus O M _ _ _ _ _. Today’s gig was with a group in Barrie, Ontario, and the topic was once again, “In the Boxing Ring with Maya.” When I saw that the recipients on this call were aged seven to fourteen for the most part, I quickly had to shift gears, to make my presentation more child friendly. While speaking, I kept scrolling to see if those young ones in the frames were staying focused. I believe they were and their parents as well.

 

Christmas, after all, has become a magical time for kids. When opportunities arise like this, when I have a chance to say something of truth, I can easily catch myself telling these young folks that St. Nicolas is real and Santa is not. Also, Jesus is more important than Rudolph. Parents don’t seem to mind. I’m a monk and I like to bring out the funk in life.

 

For walking, Nimai and I hit the streets, first in rain, and covered a blessed five kilometers.

 

May the Source be with you!

5 km (or 3 mi)

 


 

 

No comments: