Wednesday 1 December 2021

Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sudbury, Ontario

Today

While my host Damodara, and his student occupants, took that extra Sunday morning rest, I snuck out for a quiet stroll. The sun hadn’t yet risen so “all is calm and all is (not yet) bright.” It was really soothing to know that I can walk for two minutes and I’m on a stretch of the longest recreational, multi-use trail in the world. The signage, which I’m so familiar with since seeing it from my first marathon pilgrimage in 1996, was like meeting an old friend. The trail is 24, 000 kilometers long and is referred to as the Great Trail. This morning the signage took me along not only Lake Ramsey, but also a zig-zag of a walk through the older part of the downtown.

At one point I thought I was the only pedestrian but then, near the old train station, an oncoming walker, much bigger than myself, came right towards me and momentarily put a few shivers up my spine, especially when he extended his arm. It actually is the crazy part of town. He ended up just placing his right hand for a quick stroke along my left arm, giving a warm “How’s it going?” According to the boys back at the house, the gesture is common enough in this town. “Neighbourliness” is what you might call it.

One family that moved-in to the area from Saskatoon, whom I once visited there, are here now and they came to the house to get reacquainted. They were somewhat keen to have their young, shy son and daughter meet a monk in living flesh. Usually, a high five is the technique that breaks the ice with them. Also, I engaged in some Zoom-ing, which included a sibling reunion on the occasion of my sister Rose Ann’s birthday. As usual, we talk silly on such a calls. We’re human right?

May the Source be with you!

5 km


 

 

No comments: