Wednesday 1 December 2021

Friday, November 26, 2021

Sudbury, Ontario

Back Where It Started

This is where it all began for me. My seed for bhakti was planted on Yonge St., in Toronto, and Victoria, B.C., where I had brief encounters with Krishna monks. However, it was here in this town, Sudbury, the nickel capital of the world, where my actual practice of devotion began. That’s why I’m excited to be back. To arrive here hits some sentimental nerves. It pushes emotional buttons. I met devotees during Christmas in 1972.

First of all, I really like the airport. If I say, it’s an incredible edifice. I’m being facetious, if not sarcastic. It’s the size of a chicken-coop, a shack. You’re in. you’re out. I like that.

When I came out, I was greeted by northern enthusiasts. “Northern” because they were standing in snow, but the term could be misleading. The eight or so young, bright men all migrated here or are on visas, having come from steamy India. Trained by one of our boys from Toronto, initially, Dharshan, the sweet souls raised their arms and gave out a boisterous “Haribol!” which means “chant the name of God.”

Locals who were also standing about waiting for their arrivals were entertained by the boys’ reaction. I feel I’ll have a good time here.

On a grave note, I wanted to mention that during the earlier part of the day I attended the cremation event for our dear Madhurya Lila, who gloriously left this world with loving family and friends around her. The Brampton community will miss her very much; an example of a fine devotee and human being.

May the Source be with you!


 

 

No comments: