Thursday 16 December 2021

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Chemainus, British Columbia

To the Mountain Cabins

Jaya Govinda, Dawn, Leah and I took to the early ferry at Horshoe Bay for a water voyage to Vancouver Island and then drove onto Chemainus, to the unique home of Gadadhar and Manoharini. I say “unique” because the couple have established a real amazing retreat or tirtha; a sacred place. How quaint are the cabins Gadadhar constructed! In addition to their mountain home, he assembled these rustic but regal 10 feet by 10 feet structures for resting and relaxation. A third cabin on the desk is a washroom where you can shower. Finally, a fourth 20 by 20, is the residence of Jagannatha, Lord of the Universe – an actual devotional temple.

We had arrived at this attractive destination by mid-morning. Before arriving, along the way, I was peering out the window of our vehicle wondering if I could spot from the road the trail I took to walking 25 years ago, when I embarked on that first of a number of marathon walks across the globe. I recall the main street at Ladysmith.

It was just great at mealtime. Nothing like nourishment in a mountain setting. When some guests arrived to join us it was Virat, who works with the town of Nanaimo, who asked a question about my walks. This was my cue to tell all about pedestrian adventures.

When I do these talks about trekking, I simply welcome listeners to join me on the road and let them feel the sensation of it all. They usually do feel it.

Then Virat asked a second question. “What do you do when you’re walking?” And my answer was, “I’m chanting, so if I’ve walked for nine hours I will have completed 64 rounds of chanting on the beads for that day.”

May the Source be with you!




No comments: