Thursday 18 February 2021

Saturday, February 13, 2021

243 Avenue Rd., Toronto

 

Noises

 

I believe the train nearby makes a run every hour. Most neighbours become oblivious to it’s passing. It goes unnoticed in its routine, however, I sense it a good amount of the time. The window pane’s mild shaking makes it obvious to me. More irregular is the swift scurrying of squirrels over the roof. It’s one and sometimes two fellas making their pitter patter sounds. They are at play.

 

The level under me is the operation of Govinda’s dining. The dish washer is active less these days. Customers are all take-out comers and so disposable cutlery is used. Less noise for me, yet some voices do muffle their way through the ceiling. Sri manages the place. He has a distinctive voice.

 

The temple room, which is under the same roof, is rather quiet there days. Only in the morning hours from 4:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. are sounds maximized through Kirtan chanting, japa chanting and class where discussions are vibrated. I step in to become a good part of that.

 

Additional dynamics of sound come from the swishy noise of motorist whose wheels are ploughing through the accumulated wet snow. That’s pleasant enough. And when the snow is less wet outside and comes down consistently, like some days, it creates a beautiful silence as if nature is trying to tell a secret.

 

As the snow fell tonight I asked Sri if he could hold up his phone camera for one minute and video me standing there, speaking about the benefits of practicing sankirtan, the sharing of the wisdom of Krishna. It was one take and I feel it went well. That was the last bit of noise made for my day, except for the train carrying its cargo and making a slight rattle on the window pane. It was almost 10:30 p.m.

 

May the source be with you!

1 km

 

Please view our new film, Rolling the Dice:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3legHdMgI


 

 

 

No comments: