Monday 11 April 2016

Thursday, March 10th, 2016

Thursday, March 10th, 2016
Kolkata, India

Never Give In Or Up

I like the ashram here, the abode of dozens of young monks.  However, the city, Kolkata, is another matter.  Like the monster metropoles of the modern world, you have congestion, noise, objects in motion (mainly automobiles) coming from all directions, and it’s also hot and humid.  It’s a test for me once I step outside of the ashram.  One of the reasons for the few days here was to do a recording in a studio. Going there by taxi along with producer, Eklavya, was easy enough, but I couldn’t imagine trekking it. Once I arrived I felt I was psychologically prepared for being in some kind of sterile room with all noises blocked out.  The recording studio was A/C’d, thank God.  The musicians to accompany my vocals were Gauranga, on mridanga (drum), and Archavigraha on karatalas, they were fabulous.  But my voice left much to be desired.  In playing it back I sounded tired and raspy.  After doing several bhajans I listened to the work, and I was disappointed.

“Try again,” I had to say to myself.  People working at the studio are nice and we always need to look at the bright side of things.

I had, earlier on, trekked around the pond at Albert Road.  This space gave me some hope that in the midst of the odds against me, there’s always some light.  I thought of the warrior, Arjuna, and how in the middle of explosive war-craft with clashing noises, dust turned up by horses’ hooves, and having death all around him, how he must have felt.  Well, he had Krishna physically near him as his support.  He also has Krishna mystically with him as God in the heart.

There is never a time to give in or give up when you consider that you have a backing.

May the Source be with you!

3 km

No comments: