Monday 11 April 2016

Friday, April 1st, 2016

Friday, April 1st, 2016
Flacq, Mauritius

The Eye and the Sun

When the sun comes up in Mauritius it can come quite fiercely.  I was reminded of something our guru, Srila Prabhupada, had said. “The scriptures say that the sun is an eye of God, so unless Krishna sees first, we cannot see.  We have to construct an artificial sun.”

It's true that with the sun we could see the road before us.  It lights up the way.  Nevertheless it became intense with our 8.2 km trek a la mère, the ocean.  It becomes forgiving once you reach the cooling waters and get the full pleasure in its indulgence.

Our walking group had a good read on the pastime of Krishna's eating dirt.  Our age range is anywhere from 6 to 60.  That last figure is me.  I'm 63, OMG.  Frailties keep coming up reminding me of where I'm slowly headed.  It is walks like this morning's that will help to prolong as far as possible this lovely life in spiritual consciousness. 

One other thing that gives me life is the work with the youth.  It is night number 3 for our drama preparation that will be held in the local sportsplex.  The group that's come forward is really taking it seriously, and being that today was the last day of school, with holidays beginning tomorrow, their spirits couldn't be higher.

The group, which is normally a more studious type, now treated our practice space like a gym.  There's more I see of life than of death in the course of the day, and even the gecko that remained motionless for hours doesn't depress me so.  I just hope it captured a mantra or so before he left his body. 

May the source be with you!

9 km

 

No comments: