Monday 11 April 2016

Friday, March 18th, 2016

Friday, March 18th, 2016                               
Pune, India

A Real Person                                                 

I was very content, and honoured, to deliver the Bhagavatam message to a large group of monks.  Based on the story of Daksha, found in Canto 4, the topic had much to do with daughter and father relations. In this story the father shows weakness of heart and spirit.

I had been requested to talk about some of the walking ventures I’ve experienced.  It was met very favourably.

A real highlight for me was reading from the book “My Days with Prabhupada: A Young Monk’s Path to God in the Hare Krishna Movement.”  It was given to me by the author, Umapati Swami, when I was in Mayapur.  There is lots of nectar in the book.

An excerpt:

I sat on the floor with a few others in the Swami’s office repairing something one
afternoon while the Swami worked at his floor-level desk. Suddenly my hand
slipped and the blade of my screwdriver hit my fingertip. I felt a sharp stinging
pain. Had I cut myself? I looked. It seemed alright at first but suddenly a little
round drop of blood appeared. Better to wrap it with something. I looked up at the
Swami, but he was busy. I shouldn’t disturb him. On the other hand, I might smear
blood on something. “Do you have a piece of cloth?” I asked. The Swami tossed
old typewriter ribbon as he continued to work. I hesitated; an inky ribbon on a cut?
I put it down.

Then the Swami looked over at me. “Oh,” he said, “I didn’t know you had cut
yourself. I’m sorry.”

I shrugged. After all, it was barely more than a scratch. “Oh that’s alright!”

“I’m sorry” said the Swami…

The Swami apologized a few more times. I was seeing another side of the Swami
now. He had many things to take care of-- writing books, teaching disciples,
spreading Krishna Consciousness, yet he was apologizing over a small cut. He was
a real person.

May the Source be with you!

3Km

No comments: