Monday 11 April 2016

Friday, April 8th, 2016


Friday, April 8th, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

On and Off the Sidewalk

Someone got sick on the street.  I did not see it in full action, just the after-effects.  I had to, like others, tip-toe around the rejected contents of someone’s stomach.   Actually, there were three pools of it, each coloured differently, all lying in the same vicinity on the sidewalk downtown.  I figure it was three different people.  It’s not the kind of stuff anybody wants to analyze.  What I can say, though, it was somewhere in the pizzeria district, and I imagine that there was some hard beverage in the mix.

One good thing about the cold, as in Canada, is that it paralyzes the stench.

One chiropractic clinic along the way of my walk had a catchy phrase affixed to its window.  It reads, “The six most dangerous words – I thought it would go away.”

How true this phrase is about so many things.  We live in a circle of denial.  The ego says, “No, I’m not old” even when I am.  “Yes, I’m beautiful.”  “Yes I’m good.”  “No, my drinking isn’t so bad.”  “Yes, I have a temper, but it doesn’t affect so many people, majorly.”  And so on.

The phrase in that window had me thinking as I walked on. 

“Hey, I like your garb!” shouted a fellow, who I assume had a few drinks.  Sounds like he was partial to my robes.  You see, it was night-time and I was finding that the urban energy had many interesting things to offer.  When I returned back to the ashram, I read a verse from the Gita which was riveting in some ways.  From Chapter 6, Verse 9:

“A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral mediators, the envious, friends and enemies, the pious and the sinners, all with an equal mind.”

I adore this statement by Sri Krishna.  It discourages judgmentalism.

May the Source be with you!

7 km

No comments: