Friday 25 March 2022

Sunday, March 20, 2022

 Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

Good in the Soo

“I had been on the snowmobile for quite some time today. The sun and snow combined turned me red,” said the Chief of Police, Officer Hugh Stephenson, shortly after we met at the Marconi Banquet Hall at our second Festival of India for the weekend. And so it was before the show that I made a new friend in him. He was as curious about Krishna Consciousness as I was about his orthodox evangelical upbringing. We compared notes. When he was asked to come to the podium as an honoured guest, he expressed appreciation for the event and also took the time to ask everyone for moments of silence for the people of Ukraine and Russia implicated in war.

I also had the opportunity to speak between music and dance numbers. I opened up telling of what it’s like being on a long road, walking, from my experience. Then I pulled out my poem, “The Prostitute,” recently written, based on a story of a woman from the book, Bhagavatam.

Now what does a monk have to do with a prostitute? Absolutely nothing! But here is the story in any event…

Wat was really magical about this story is that this woman eventually went on to become self-realized. There was pin drop silence. I didn’t have to give a big discourse to the crowd. That they wouldn’t have. No sermon for me, Swami. The message, poetically delivered, was accepted. The prostitute found Mr. Right – God.

Once again tables and chairs were full. 200 capacity here (in the Soo, they call it) and yesterday 250. They loved the meal. Entertainment was good. Thanks to Prem.

May the Source be with you!

5 km

 

Check out “Play, Pray, Walk, Laugh,”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VODhCmb670M




 

 

 

No comments: