Wednesday 9 March 2022

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Deer Park, Toronto

Walking Deer Park

I set out on my own tonight. My two usual walking comrades needed early rest. No regrets. Snow was falling, coming down nice.

“Look at this, Pariksit,” I said holding up my camera phone to show him what he’s missing in Vrindavan, India; where likely snow has never hit. I was just descending the exterior stairs and finishing my Zoom call with a group of Umbrella Mountain artists, a hub that meets every Wednesday night. The discussion was good. Pariksit was wowed by the wintry image I sent before leaving the Zoom and commencing the walk.

I headed north on Avenue Road, towards St. Clair in an area called Deer Park. There are no more deer here, just more and more high rises. After the deer left, people like Glen Gould moved in.

Who is he? A piano virtuoso, world renowned in the last century. His fingers would ripple over the keyboard with the greatest of ease. His playing was phenomenal. Gifted by God.

I’m sure there were some great people living in this district when the deer ran wild. Indigenous goodness people roamed here. To a large extent they depended on the venison for food.

As I trekked along up to St. Clair and east until Yonge, I thought about my good fortune to be in a place (the temple ashram nearby) where there’s always good plant-based food. I thought of the Ukrainian and Russian people who don’t have it so good. Would I be willing to trade their condition for mine? I hear they are relatively happy, having each other and keeping strong in consciousness. It’s a mixed blessing perhaps.

May the Source be with you!

4 km


 

No comments: