Friday 25 March 2022

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Queen’s Park, Toronto

Going Directions

It had been a long day. Tomorrow is special – Gaura Purnima. It was a littler after 8 pm, early for my evening walk. I realized it was my first moment for the outside to hit my face. It seemed like a coastal fog, something like London; grey and damp but moderate in temperature.

Down I went from the steps, and freedom bounced at me. I could choose my direction – east, west, north or south. And so, the first impulse took me south, but then that had to change. After 1.5 kilometres, I swung east to come to a street I’ve been on for years, 49 to be exact. That’s Yonge St. where I’ve done a lot of book distribution over the years.

Unrecognizable? It’s nighttime and the fog was cutting off high rises not to mention I came from an angle I’m not used to. Anyways, I was now northbound, but then went west to my home, 243 Ave. Rd.

Where is my home? Anywhere and everywhere. As a monk I should be content just anywhere. Right? But I do have my place where I keep my belongings and my books and the special space that was visited by our beloved guru, Prabhupada, back in ’76. I will always hold this space as dear to me.

So, Gaura Purnima is the birthday of Sri Chaitanya, born in 1486 in West Bengal, India. He became a monk who travelled on foot in all directions, paving the way for the sankirtan movement; a culture that praises Krishna through song, dance, philosophy, food, and service to the soul.

May the Source be with you!

4 km


 

No comments: