Thursday 26 May 2022

Friday, May 13, 2022

Yorkville, Toronto

 

What We’re Not Missing

 

After delivering some classes on the Gita for the evening, to accommodate families that work during the day, Vallabha Hari and I took that stroll through Yorkville. The weather was just perfect. It hit twenty-three degrees Celsius. Every fragrant flower, bush, or tree is in full bloom. Lit evening lampposts reveal every colour that foliage provides.

 

“I am flower-bearing spring,” the Lord describes in the Gita.

 

People, too, are very much alive. It’s Friday. The work week is over. There are lots of seats and chairs to get comfy over the booze. People are loud; a feature of the drinking kind who are catching up on mundane katha (discussions). That’s what the café streets are like.

 

I asked Vallabha Hari if we could just pause, giving a break to my surgical leg. “I will chant my gayatri mantras on the bench.” During that four-minute session of attempted solitude, the obvious sounds of partying abounded. People were chattering. Glassware was clanging. Jazz music filled the ethereal background. Motorcycle engines were roaring.

 

As I rose up for the last leg, back home to the ashram, I remarked to Vallabha, “Prabhupada saved me from this night life stuff. How grateful we should be!”

 

He nodded. I guess that was the reason for the course we took – to see what we are not missing.

 

May the Source be with you!

3 km

 


 

No comments: