Wednesday 23 January 2019

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Toronto, Ontario

I Ventured Alone in Memory

I ventured out alone after leading a song in the temple.  I more or less burst out the door after an intense but good day.  Out I went into -9 Celsius weather, in my thick polar orange suit, prepared for the chill.  It was an exhilarating blast of cold, much to my liking for a brisk walk.

I walked along on Bloor and Robert Street where I noticed a church emptying out.  Trinity St. Paul’s Church is often a venue for great performances.  The people pouring out were a delighted audience who heard “The Harlequin Salon.” I went inside for a peek.  The original pipe organ is still set in the back area. Nice exterior building as well.  https://www.tafelmusik.org/concert-calendar/concert/harlequin-salon

Some years ago, when Professor Joseph T. O’Connell, of U of T’s religious department, had gone to hear a concert, he and I happened to converge in the street.  He was with his wife, Kathleen.  He was a great scholar and had majored in Gaudiya Vaisnava history and culture. The Hare Krishna were his friends. He has passed on.  I attended his funeral services.  He always stood up for us in our early years.   https://iskconnews.org/remembering-joseph-t-oconnell,3280/

Anyway, it was interesting meeting him outside St. Pauls.  I had just returned from another type of concert—a Straight Edge music display by the rock band “Shelter” with singer Raghunath.  O’Connell had come from a sophisticated music ensemble, and I had just emerged from Lee’s Palace, up the street, where heavy music blares out. They were two different worlds of music genres, although I really do have a taste for classical instrumental music personally.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelter_(band)

Professor O’Connell, the scholar, asked our guru, Srila Prabhupada, when visiting Toronto in June of 1976, whether there were any female gurus in our tradition.  In short, the answer was, “Yes!” 

May the Source be with you!
5 km


No comments: