Thursday 10 January 2019

Monday, January 7th, 2019

Burnaby, British Columbia

Walking Around In History

Mathura Lila, who is from the Philippines but has rooted herself in Burnaby for a long time, remarked, "You brought the sunshine," but I countered it with, "I believe it's the reverse.". In truth the Greater Vancouver area has encountered rain, rain and more rain. 

Taking advantage of the clearness of the day, I headed for what was once the Japanese Encampment.  Yes, the bombing of Pearl Harbor by Japan, even had Canada looking suspiciously at its Japanese citizens.  Because Britain declared war on Japan, English Canadians supported the same action.  But these encampments where people were practically held prisoner are no more. The place where one was established is now a community garden zone—a great walking place.

I came upon an empty lot where a school stood only ten years ago. It serviced the local rural area.  The area, however, is not rural as of late.  Burnaby, like many places in Canada, is bursting with condos. I'm lucky to have the freedom to be amidst gardens, fields and some empty lots.

At Meadow and 12th Avenue is where the school was located.  There I met Radhika, who recently moved from Alberta.  I led her to a nearby mini-park and a playground which has serviced the local families for decades.  We talked briefly.  I'm a swami. I hope I encouraged her somewhat in her spiritual life.  She had actually driven around looking for me.

May the Source be with you!
5 km


No comments: