Friday 4 January 2019

Tuesday, January 1st, 2019

Toronto, Ontario

Shoes

Happy New Year!

A spiritually surcharged program took place at 243 Avenue Road.  To add to our drama repertoire we now have a fresh new skit which was presented, "First Timers," but what I would like to perhaps rename as, "Red Hot Chilli."  What is the experience of a newcomer to the centre?  Does the person have a good experience?  Sometimes it's cumbersome and lessons are to be learned.  The audience loved the comedy.

After this program of good cheer, I walked west on Bloor.  I often take that route, and when I do I pass by the Bata Shoe Museum.  You won't find a shoe museum in every city.

If you are a walker, footwear is important to you, although I've never personally taken a fancy to being stylish with shoes and, being a monk, I am somewhat restricted in apparel choices. Period.  I recall how our guru, Prabhupada, found guys wearing "stacks" in the seventies to be amusing.

In the past, I've ventured into the museum. Tuesday afternoons were free.  You are looking at three floors illustrating shoe power.  I remember seeing shoes worn by Glenn Gould, Elton John and, if I'm not mistaken, Marilyn Monroe.  On display were a set of wooden shoes worn by an Indian maharaj, and every time he'd take a step a device built inside would squirt out a blast of perfume. Impressive!

The window display for pedestrians shows floral patterns made of shoes, each display representing a provincial flower from Canada.  Sweet! I spent a few minutes, a break from walking, viewing the colourful patterns of shoes.


May the Source be with you!
5 km



No comments: