Monday 14 February 2022

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Ramsden Park, Toronto

Forgive

From the Gita, 11.42, “Thinking of You as my friend, I have rashly addressed You ‘O Krishna,’ ‘O Yadava,’ O my friend,’ not knowing Your glories. Please forgive whatever I may have done in madness or in love. I have dishonoured You many times, jesting as we relaxed, lay on the same bed, or sat or ate together, sometimes alone and sometimes in front of many friends. O infallible one, please excuse me for all those offenses.”

Before I went off on my evening trek today, the Gita Chat group on Thursday and I discussed the subject of forgiveness, based on the verse above. The wise Krishna and attentive Arjuna struck this most important topic when Arjuna put his apology into the conversation. He admitted to a familiarity and complacency.

In looking at the definition of complacency we arrive at something like this, “a feeling of smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one’s achievements.” This attitude is hurtful on the path of spirituality and it’s something to be avoided. Arjuna spotted his weaknesses and opened his heart to the Lord.

We should probe into our weaknesses and offenses and, once we have identified those whom we have crossed in some way, attempt to resolve mistakes made in order to clear our path from clutter.

Krishna was and always is reasonable. It seemed He did not take offense to Arjuna’s familiarity. Perhaps we could refer to a couple of what’s called “The Paradoxical Commandments:”

1) The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway.

2) What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.

May the Source be with you!

2 km



 

No comments: