Tuesday 1 February 2022

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Downtown, Toronto

Night Snow Walk

I was on Bloor St. and those pretty snowflakes were twirling down. That excited three young men, perhaps international students from India, whom I passed by. I know they were excited. I could see it on their tan faces, as they were clicking away and with some selfie efforts, they were taking in what they could of the magic with white lit lights all edged along the night street.

I thought for a moment as to whether I should introduce myself being that they likely would respond well. I did not have my devotional attire on. It’s too cold for that. I was snuggled in my new winter parka and I was in more of a meditative mode; chanting and praying for hospitalized acquaintances, so my missionary instincts were a little dormant at the time.

I carried on and there was a stretch on a side street which had a narrow carved-out pathway in the snow. A young woman was at one end of this narrow passage way. I was at the other. We both had stopped at the same time. There was room for both of us. One of us had to go first. “You go!” she said politely.

“No, please?” I insisted.

“It’s alright.”

“But, I’m from the Old School,” I urged with a slight bow of the upper body and a gesture of the hand. In other words, “Ladies first.”

She responded with, “Oh!” as if to say “that’s different.” So, she moved first with a smile.

 

May the Source be with you!

7 km


 

No comments: