Monday 24 December 2018

Wednesday, December 19th, 2018

Montreal / Prescott

Fun or Fatal

Our team of three stayed at the ISKCON Centre, Montreal, overnight.  I kept myself clear of any space where incense lingered as it agitates or aggravates my sinuses at present.  I have some throat issues.  I mentioned to the head priest that it might be something for him to think about and take action on.  "We use incense in our services but we might consider cutting down.  Some Buddhist monks were found to have lung cancer because of large doses of incense.  One of our pujaris (priests) in the San Jose area was found to have cancer from the incense she used several times a day in her service and she never ever smoked cigarettes.  What is recommended is to use one instead of three sticks, and just after it is offered to the deity you can put it out."

He listened to my logic that in India incense is used in outdoor courtyard temples.  The smoke has a chance to escape.  I hope my advice takes hold because our priests are precious.

After a great morning sadhana, we headed off to the rural project called "Nandagram," in Mascouche.  They have made progress since last I came.  The main resident building has expanded in size due to the hard work of Anu Bhava and Jenke.  By spring it will all be ready for our Farmer's Conference in May.  Please give support.

On our return, we stopped by historic Prescott along the St. Lawrence for a snack.  The new owner, of a convenience shop in Sanjay, fresh out of Mumbai, recognized us as Krishna monks and inadvertently entertained the customers in queue by offering hugs after stepping away from the counter and touching our feet.  It is traditional habit that can make life bitter, fun or fatal.

May the Source be with you!
5 km

No comments: