Monday 24 December 2018

Friday, December 21st, 2018

Thunder Bay, Ontario

Directions to the Tabla

I made sure to be bundled up for the weather of the north, which meant any saffron robes, consisting of dhotikurta and uttaria, would be sent ahead to the destination point on Victoria Avenue.  I donned regular wear with pants, a serious coat and additional head-warming gear to address the ten-below temperature.

I was making my way to a tablaconcert (well, "concert" might be an exaggeration, rather a demo) conducted by my travelling partner, Ananda.  The sun was bright and it reflected all from the snow until I came to a trail by Confederation College.  This trail I traversed last July, but being winter it posed a new dynamic.  The creek was now frozen.  Trees blocked the sun which was on its way to hide beyond the horizon anyway.

I asked for directions from a middle-aged guy on a bike.  "Which way to VIctoria?"  

He took note of the tilakmark on my forehead, an earth-based marking that indicates this body is a temple of the soul.  He wouldn't have understood that but was kind enough to advise me.  He delivered the advice of the quickest route which, guiltily, I didn't follow.  I was up for extra adventure which I don't mind.  If lost, I get the chance to meet more people.  I like to have a quota of new encounters every day. It makes the day complete.

After a fair amount of zig-zagging on streets, I reached the Vedic Cultural Centre with the tablademo in session.  I was late, but in time to insert the mantra and dance portion.  Oh how the folks loved it, including Ananda, host Prem and myself.

May the Source be with you!
8 km

No comments: