Thursday 24 July 2014

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014

Calgary, Alberta

Learning On The Trail


On the Rotary Mattamy Greenway, at the eastern reaches of Calgary, I took my early trek.  From two locations on the trail, I learned of wilderness struggle.  Firstly, on a slight divergence of the trail, by a batch of trees (where frankly, I released some water) I saw the remains of an ordeal.  It had more to do with a ruffling of feathers.  There, on this tiny forest floor, was a pile of actual feathers, likely what was left of some aerial battle between two birds.  It was not the down of a duck that I was looking at, or a crow; hard to tell really, but it was a scatter of life, nevertheless.  I could only imagine the pain of the feathery victim. 

Further on the trail, in fact very close to the Trans Canada Highway/Highway 1, there lies the relics of a fur animal, at least to me, it was evidence of another scuffle. 

I terminated the trail walk and ended at a newspaper box.   I pulled out a Metro newspaper, sat myself at a park bench, and read the feature article of a local Calgarian pit bull that was euthanized by officials.  He had attacked and killed a poodle.  Chaos was the name of the three year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier.  The article was an account of two dog owners walking their pets, their toothy encounter, and then the subsequent reactions from the owners.  All in all, the theme here was about the struggle within life, and the harshness that pervades in our world. 

Mmm… this gives me a topic to speak on at tonight’s sangha at the home where I’m staying, “Suffering!  Can it be overcome?”

May the Source be with you!

9 KM

No comments: