Wednesday 16 July 2014

Monday, July 14th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario
 
New Territory
 
 
Phil, Ananda Rupa, and Jagannatha, who are all visiting pilgrims, and I, trekked through posh Rosedale in the morning when we came upon a security guard at a childcare establishment.  He noticed us, stood there, and inquired about our exotic attire. 
 
“What do the clothes represent?” asked the dark and tall middle eastern man. 
 
“It represents Krishna Consciousness.”
 
He had a string of questions, including, “What book do you follow?”
 
“Bhagavad Gita,” I said.
 
“Do you believe in heaven and hell?  What happens when you die?  Do you believe God can be seen?”  From his looks and his questions, I gathered that he followed the Quran, as he was talking about a personal judgment day.   I hoped that my answers left him thinking about shades of grey, and not the usual black and white mode of perception.  He spoke about what he was taught, that there’s one book only. 
 
“So you wouldn’t read Alice in Wonderland?” I asked.
 
“No.”
 
My companions were lit up at his inquiries, and I believe that to some degree he was enjoying the responses as he stood in a fresh new territory of openness.  The sensation that we could talk in this liberal way, and not live in fear about sharing and learning, was comforting. 
 
In the end of our exchange, it was a warm embrace.  The experience was sweet.  I had to think about it, that who in such a place in Rosedale ever talks about spiritual things on the street?
 
May the Source be with you!
 
8 KM

No comments: