Monday 21 July 2014

Thursday, July 17th, 2014

Regina, Saskatchewan

Shoe Happy


I’m really satisfied with my new pair of Keen shoes.  I picked them up from a shop on Danforth Street in Toronto.  The clerk charged no tax, perhaps he was charmed by a monk. 

I’ve had no issues with breaking into these shoes – no blisters or callouses.  They are snug on the feet, but are a trite heavier than Crocs.  For short term treks, such as the ones I’m currently going through, these shoes will be fine.  Time will tell. 

I’m in Regina.  Our bus parked at the Husky Gas Station at night on Victoria Ave. when I decided to make my way to the local ashram on Retallack Street.  These days, Regina and the province of Saskatchewan, are booming.  Natural resources had something to do with that.  Of course, it welcomes extra traffic.  Road madness hustled hustled along Victoria, which is where I happened to trek.  I had the fortune to walk a worn, unconventional trail where regular earth is as comfy for feet as asphalt is for tires.  I really was in awe at the insistence of road rage next to me.  I was glad when I finally reached the downtown which was quieter, and especially when a young oriental fellow asked about my assumed Buddhism.

“Actually, it’s Hare Krishna, with roots from India, and which also outdates Buddhism.”  He gave a nod and then dashed off to cross the street and off to work, I assumed. 

Our ashram in Regina is not in the best neighbourhood.  When I asked some folks where the nearest drug store is and where I could get a particular prescription drug, everyone seems to know where legal drugs are located, and perhaps, the other kind as well.

Our bus tour group went on to do a performance once again – chanting, magic show with Dattatreya, and our drama, “Little Big Ramayan”.  What a feel good program.  That’s what this is all about, it is about community strengthening and reinforcement, that our little travelling road show offers.  It is also effective as outreach.  Newcomers have something experiential.  I’m sure guru and Krishna are pleased.  Our show was all done in barefoot, though, no shoes required. 

May the Source be with you!

8 KM

No comments: