Wednesday 2 July 2014

Sunday, June 29th, 2014

Burnaby, British Columbia
 
Not the End
 
 
It was a few minutes after 4 that I woke up for the last leg of the Fourth walk across Canada.  I woke up Karuna who like a real trooper is habituated to morning trekking.  I let Daruka sleep in for a well-deserved one, considering it's also a less-demanding day with a mere 22 kilometres to go.
 
I was determined to make this a quiet finish as far as a marathon pilgrimage is concerned.  It doesn't require a big hoopla necessarily.  It's a walk for peace afterall - inner peace.  And the walking is only meant to continue.
 
From Akrura's home in Surrey Karuna and I had set out to make a few turns and twists on various streets and a stepping on yet another bridge, the Patulla, to New Westminister and then Burnaby.  Once entering Burnaby the sights and buildings began to be familiar to me as this is where I generally trek when I visit Burnaby.  
 
One way I thought we could celebrate however, in the most wholesome and calm way was just test out some of the wild berries lined along the street along the stretch.  Generally I go for touching the ocean nearest when putting an apparent closure to such a pilgrimage.  The Pacific is but a few clicks (kilometres) away but I vied for taking the final steps to the lotus feet of Krishna deities this time around and the ISKCON temple in the heart of Burnaby.
 
The very final steps was actually a full obeisance (prostration) before the magnanimous avatar of Krishna, Sri Chaitanya, who was a popular mover of legs - a pilgrim himself - in early 16th century India.  My heart did indeed melt momentarily as I glanced at the smiling brass image of the Chaitanya deity.  There is power in the deity.  I could feel it, especially now.
 
As I was peering at the deity a hazy but sublime backdrop of mountain, trees, semi-deserts and prairies super-imposed itself.  "It's all one!" yogis often say.  For me the elements and the elemental source are one.  They are also different.  Creator and creation shine together and also apart.
 
While it's been one big-time adventure once again trekking a great piece of the globe, Canada, I ventured through this land with its multiple eco-systems seeing it in awe and offering it a service.  As I play a small role in massaging the land's hard and soft surfaces I know that mutually my very bottoms (the feet) got a treat.
 
I lost some pounds.  I lost some karma.  From trees we learn tolerance; from wind, creativity; from water, gravity; from the sun and moon, energy and from people, hospitality and kindness.
 
Thank you all donors in cash and in kind.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
22 KM

No comments: