Monday 21 July 2014

Tuesday, July 15th, 2014

Thunder Bay, Ontario

Beyond Liberation


My friend, Gaura, and I, took a short trek under the spit of rain in Toronto.  Not ignoring the dripping trees, we noticed a black cherry tree.  Again, this is right in our neighbourhood where such juicy bounties can be found just hanging right there.  Strange that humans generally take so little interest in what is so natural and so ‘under your nose’.  So be it.  Leave the organic stuff for the squirrel, the raccoon, or the odd monk, and let humans access the GMO’d commercial bought, what we call, ‘food’. 

Not long after black cherries darkened the lips, Gaura and I returned to the temple ashram and sat for a Bhagavatam class conducted by Kaliyapani, a long time devotee from the UK, reminding all those attending that the goal of life is liberation, freedom from ongoing births in this world.  The class was well delivered.

Those of us who have routined ourselves to devotional activities for some years now, put a life of bhakti, devotion, above liberation itself.  Just to give an example of what I’m talking about, when I arrived at Thunder Bay for its annual Festival of India, I came to this realization regarding liberation.  What did I see there at Marina Park off of Lake Superior?  I saw crowds of happy people, about 6,000, engrossed in spiritual culture.  The food, the dance, music, pretty clothes (very colourful), incense, spiritual books, popcorn, lemonade and ice cream were all featured.  Thunder Bay bursts with bhakti this time of year, and my great fortune to be here serving others by simply giving the message of Krishna Consciousness, allows me to touch the tip of liberation, or better still, to ride on its back.  Freedom truly comes from serving and telling others of a better life that is alien to that mundane greedy existence of our modern world. 

May the Source be with you!

3 KM

No comments: