Tuesday 15 July 2014

Saturday, July 5th, 2014

Montreal, Quebec
 
Streets and Parks
 
 
I'm not sure that 'craving' is the right word to describe what my two walking companions are feeling.  After a full day at Jeanne Mance Park at the base of Mount Royal between mingling with people and manning the book table at Festival of India, Karuna and Hayagriva, two young monks, asked me if the three of us could trek back.  At least it's desire.
 
It was the most perfect day, weather-wise; we had sun, a breeze and in the mid-twenties celsius temperature.  Couldn't be better!
 
'Trekking back' meant instead of catching a ride, as none of us have a vehicle although equipped with driving skills, we decided to make it to the ashram on Pie IX Blvd to catch our night's rest.  Are my two companions hooked on walking?  In the case of Hayagriva who told me, "I try to walk for two hours a day."  Karuna, well he said much the same.  I'm glad I'm of some mini influence in their lives.
Our trek back routed us through pedestrian-warm streets and through parks.  I notice wherever I go more people are turning 'Vedic.'  They see us and say, "Namaste!" or "Hare Krishna!" or when we took to the sidewalk in Parc du Fontaine where older folks were at play with a game, 'Petangue,' some younger guys actually sang our song.  At least you see eyebrows raise when three saffron clad blokes pass by coming from shirtless men and tight-attired women culture.  One fellow who identified himself as 'Bhisma' was a former Krishna practitioner addressed us.  He was open about his cigar smoking.  "No need to be apologetic," I said.  We're not going to judge just by some deviation.
Yes, Saturday evenings, in the adjoining downtown of Montreal is the place to be for almost anyone and especially for a group of three us monks.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
8 KM

No comments: