Thursday 17 December 2009

Tuesday, December 15th, 2009

I won’t forget the Imagery

Regina & Toronto

I was not able to take to walking in Regina for the morning due to the recent dip in temperatures, that I had planned to do once I arrived in Toronto. I had come to a moment of boredom on Westjet flight 110 when I got curious about the screen in front of me. Believe me television is more boring than boredom itself. Nothing stimulating! And I’m so glad I left TV behind 37 years ago.

What did catch my eye on the screen was the National Geographic channel and a scene –an impression of Mother Nature’s teaching that I’ll soon not forget. It was caught on film taken in Kruger National Park in South Africa. I put on head phones to listen. And here was the image and the subsequent lesson I learned.

A herd of water Buffalo were making their way down the trail next to a river. Three or four lionesses were crouched low for the oncoming herd and their color was well blending in to the earth tone environment. The alpha male buffalo saw the lioness posed to run and pounce. The big bull turned around while two more adults and a meaty calf did also. The chase was on by the feline animals who were headed straight for the calf. The calf slipped by the river bank and fell into the water. Three or so lionesses pounced and dug into the calve’s flesh to penetrate and attempt to cut off circulation. A crocodile appeared and clutched onto the calf and a tug of war began- lion against croc. The lions pulled the calf out of the water. With the film frame you could now see a massive herd of buffalo. They came to the sight of injury.

Now you would think that the calf would be finished. But no! That calf survived, got up on limping legs and sprang back to safety –the herd.

The moderator asked the viewer what he got out of the episode. What I surmised was that the calf survived on the basis of not just the physical aid from the herd but the vibe of encouragement.

When encouragement comes in the form of a great collective effort nothing can stand in its way. It was just an incredible sight.
.
“I wonder if we humans encourage each other enough”

8 Km

No comments: