Wednesday 16 December 2009

Sunday, December 13th, 2009

Cold and Warm

Saskatoon, Regina

At minus 50 degrees Celsius, like now, you cannot go out for a walk. You will get frost bite after a few minutes of exposure, I have had the experience. One day in Winnipeg’s winter my fingers were exposed when opening the hood of a vehicle. I had to look inside the vehicle’s guts without gloves. Three minutes later I could not bear the chill, and had to run inside. Two days later the outer tissue of my fingertips had gone dead, the skin had turned white and started to peel off. I decided to be wise and cautious about prairie winter chill in the future.

Kasyapa and I settled for walking inside the arm corridor of the Lawson Heights mall the last two mornings. It’s not ideal but that’s what walkers do around here when weather poses problems.
I had given a talk at the Laxmi Narayana temple. It was an orientation day for me as I never really got to know this community before. It was a good crowd, mostly professional people also mixed as far as ethnicity is concerned. I found a similar dynamic at ISKCON Regina temple. There some bohemian – hippie free spirits made up part of the mix. They fueled everyone with their powerful dance moves.

The talk in Regina was based on verse 9:2 of the Bhagavad-Gita, the same verse I chose to speak from in Saskatoon which is a three hour drive from Regina. We attempted to elucidate on the phrases, “King of Knowledge” and “Most secret of all secrets” . Krishna himself says, “People look on the soul as amazing and yet some even after consideration of the soul’s presence cannot appreciate it at all.“ The Gita’s subject matter is for all but not everyone warms up to it. In other words, not everyone is ready to receive.

3 Km

No comments: