Friday 4 December 2009

Thursday, November 26th, 2009

Buenos Aires, Argentina

It becomes a difficult spot to be in when you’re locked inside a courtyard and when you’re an early riser and you want to hit the sidewalk for a walk in meditation. Well, no sense in getting frustrated. You do the next best thing, pace the courtyard. So with a hard pace back and forth I calculated 5 kilometers in this fashion. You heat up enough that you undo the top button of your kurta (shirt).

The rest of the virtual work out for the day came from rehearsals of the drama “Le Era de Kali”, which is being prepared for Saturday’s Rathayatra. The drama has incorporated in it the casting of very passionate characters and it is my job as director to demonstrate for the actors some of those passionate moves. Luckily I have a good group, all volunteers who work together in a most cohesive way. One of the actors, Prema brahmacari (monk) who resides in the local temple, and who is a natural born upcoming director told me, “I was this shy introvert of a kid but when I was ten I decided not to be so withdrawn, and so the outgoing side of me came out.”

One of the sannyasi friends that I associate with here in Argentina frequents South America and has an affinity for the stage, Hanumatpresaka Swami, told me that he has pieced together a script in Spanish for Hamlet/Arjuna. That’s interesting! I am hoping to see someday how he utilizes a line like “To be or not to be. That is the question.” I can certainly see a remark like that compatible to the character of Arjuna who finds himself in a major quandary.

For our drama practices we find ourselves rehearsing either in the temple room or on the roof top. The temple president, Mahahari, politely asked us not to be too loud. “We just received a document from the city indicating that after being tested for decibel levels that we are a quiet group. We don’t want any trouble with our neighbors.”

And so we have been good with sweating hard, making plenty of moves but keeping the volume down.

5 Km

No comments: