Thursday 24 December 2009

Monday, December 21st, 2009

Having It In Havana

Havana, Cuba

Weather reports on this first official day of winter tell that major snow storms hit Canada in the far east and also in the north east of the U.S including New York and D.C. We are not affected as we are headed south to Havana and are avoiding the oncoming snowstorm for central Canada.

“We” means four of us: Jettu, Nitai Priya, Hrdai Gauranga, and I. We are set out to prepare for the “Festival de la Cultural Vedica” which includes dance, kirtan (chanting), and a drama “The Gita”. As we disembark from flight 970 Air Canada, an elderly woman asked, “Do you mind if I ask what regimen you belong to?”

“Hare Krishna! I’m a monk. It’s an old tradition from India.” “Yes, I’ve heard of it,” she said.

At the pick up carousel a man who teaches high school up in the far north at Hudson Bay asked if I had come to Cuba for the first time. “No it’s my third time. We are here to stage a show on Vedic culture.” Eli was interested in attending. “Where and when is it being held?” I was embarrassed. I didn’t know the details. “I’m just glad we made it.” We chuckled and then I gave him my email address. Our group had met with our devotee friends in Havana at the airport. Janardana, Julan Yatra and Chaitanya Priya got acquainted with us. We settled down, ate and discussed the coming show for the 26th. Our eager legs were beckoned to the Malacone the passageway along the north shore with its crashing and splashing waves. A young Ricardo, 27, followed us. It was his birthday and he was looking for something interesting to do and see, so he started talking as we walked. He became our first local amigo on this trip.

The group also visited a Santeria session. drumming and singing went on as an offering to the goddess Oshun. “No Photos allowed.” They were told during the ceremony. Participants were kind. Some paraphenalia with snakeskin was attached at the entrance to keep evil and enemies out.

Our group was really enjoying day 1 of the Cuba trip. I was too.

10 Km

No comments: