Wednesday 30 December 2009

Sunday, December 27th, 2009

Gone Forever

Havana, Cuba

There cannot be anything of more sentimental value to a monk hooked on japa mantra than his beads. I have been sustained by mantra power since 1973 and I have been using the same set of meditational beads since that time. They are a strand of 108 well-rounded and polished neem-wood beads. They have been a consistent companion for 36 years and have touched 5 continents. Well, they are no longer with me. They are gone forever.

After a perky morning program consisting of chanting and speaking from the book Bhagavatam, then meeting with a theosophist for two hours and then conducting a four hour Sunday program with guests I ventured my way home along a tidy street at Havana University when a young ill-intended fellow grabbed my bead pouch, yanked it off from my neck and dashed off with it into the darkness of the night. I was frozen with surprise. Stunned! I was unable to make a chase being loaded down with a heavy bag of paraphernalia. He was fast on his feet. At the moment I didn't realize that that was it. I will never see them again. When the assailant would see that the pouch carrying my beads were only that and not pesos he would discard it. But where? Would he toss my cuentos (beads) in the bushes somewhere, in a city dumpster or bring them into his home to inspect the contents under a brighter light? What would he do with prayer beads? I'm sure he's not the type to pray as opposed to prey.

We had a small search party out looking for my stolen treasure, but no sign – no trace. I asked Janardan and Julan about a report to the police, and they advised against the notion. “You wouldn't want to go through the bureaucracy.” So there I was let to contemplate. The theft occurred a little after 7. By 10 I knew I wouldn't sleep over the anguish, so Janardan and I walked for two hours until fatigue hit us. Along the Malacon sea wall we trekked chanting on beads (he had a spare set for me). I was dealing with some resentment and opening the way for forgiveness and letting the mode of detachment take its course. These things take time to heal and I could feel it coming sooner than later.

My resolve was that beads may go but no one can ever take away the mantra. Hare Krishna!

9 Km

No comments: