Thursday 15 June 2017

Wednesday June 14, 2017

East of Steamboat Springs, Colorado

No Divide

Matthew had told us that Jackson County is the largest county in the U.S. with no stoplights whatsoever. Well, we have left that county, on foot, for new territory, which landed us at the Great Continental Divide. Reaching an elevation of over 9,000 feet, where the watershed here has water flowing to both the Atlantic and the Pacific. A local said, “If you pee at that spot, some of you goes to  either ocean.”

From that location, Rabbit Ears Pass, I ventured west through altitude changes. My breath could be seen when up high and when low. I felt some warmth. That’s what I call climate change.

I did have time to reflect during the ascent and descent, and going around the bend. I thought of my colleague, who’s also been a monk for over forty years. Danovir Goswami is American born, has written several books on monastic life, but is now stricken with Parkinson’s disease.

I met him at the ISKCON Denver centre the last two Sundays when our team joined in with the Bhakti-yoga functions. Danovir Goswami has always taken a right-wing stance on issues, and that usually was too abrasive for my liking. It meant that our communication wasn’t strong, although, mutually, we respected one another.

Now, when I saw his condition, I was compelled to go for a long friend’s embrace at each of those two visits. It felt good and right. Let opposing opinions be swept to the side, as we are all truly devotionally one. There is no divide.

During such meditations, a local mason, Tim, pulled over. He was so curious. Also a young pregnant woman stopped after her parents saw me. Unable to veer over their massive camper at a 7% grade decline, they called their daughter, who was in another car, to get some water to the monk.

May the Source be with you!

20 miles

No comments: