Wednesday 7 June 2017

Monday, June 5, 2017

Burns, Wyoming

The Cattle and Me

The cattle and I were separated by fence and ditch, but they were following me, nevertheless. As I made my last three miles in this ranch country, on Rd. 213, the two dozen or so black-breed bovines got attached to me and I to them.

Coming down the dusty road was a white pickup with a local farmer behind the wheel. This farmer put the brakes on and observed the cattle tagging along next to me. The farmer made the turn and proceeded to meet me on the road.

It was a woman—a country girl. “But I’ve spent my time in the city. I prefer the rural life,” she said, after introductions.

I told her of my walking mission with its spiritual edge. And we both agreed that commonality amongst faith groups needs to be emphasized; in other words, the agreed upon universal truths need to be honoured. It was terrific to meet a farmer with an open mind. It is not always like that. Cattle are open. Why can’t humans be?

Gary was another person who came onto my track with me today. Gary is from The Pine Bluffs Post. He spent forever looking for me. Wrong road. Directions given to him were misinformed. Finally, he caught up with me and the boys in the village of Burns. He asked all the normal questions and I answered them, informing him that it is a great ‘spirit’ walk, one that I hope will inspire others.

“Simple living. Less cars. 1.25 million people die each year from auto accidents. We could do better. Walk and chant!”  The cattle walked.

May the Source be with you!

21 miles

No comments: