Tuesday 11 March 2014

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014



Mayapur, India

I Cannot Walk With You

“I cannot walk with you today,” said Praveen.  He is a local person and I’ve known him for a good 15 years or so.  I was with a Russian devotee, and we were just turning a corner onto Tarumpura Road, toward the Jalangi River, when Praveen expressed that he can’t join us as he did the other day.  He felt unworthy, as he put it, “I didn’t take bath yet today.”  He made further remarks that emerged from the low self esteem platform, “I’m no good.”

Praveen looked disheveled.  His dentures are deteriorated, stained yellow and brown.  In the past when I would meet him on the Tarumpura Road, I would give him an embrace, but I could see he was not in the mood to receive.  He looked intoxicated.  Being pious, believing in God, and what is generally dharmic (moral), he felt rather guilty being in our presence.  He knows what it means to greet or be greeted by a monk.  It is a deeply engrained element in the psyche of people who hail from the land of dharma, India.  That’s why he spoke with an outburst, “Maharaja,” he said out of reverence.

He stood there, humbled, and the only thing I could do for the moment was to cheer him up and let him know he’s not a bad person.

“Do put your faith in Krishna, He’s always there to help.  By the way, please come to see our play, ‘Little Big Ramayan’.  It will be held at the Samadhi Auditorium.”

There’s always the obligation when meeting someone to give them hope.  I saw him get a little excited.  So we went on our way.  I did not see Praveen at our show, but I trust that he will be there in the future.  I pray for him.

“My dear, Krishna, please watch over Praveen who is struggling and having a dark hour.  Please help him to overcome habits he’s not pleased with.  May his devotional sentiments overshadow his weaknesses.”

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: