Tuesday 11 March 2014

Sunday, March 9th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Chaitanya’s Verses


My walking was in a Brampton residential area.  I went out the door at the house of my host, Rajnish.  I turned left, then right, and then right again…  You understand the situation.  I was going in circles until I got back to where I started at 10 Meridian Road. 

Today I also delivered a class on the Gita, 10.11 at the Vedic Cultural Centre.  Then I shifted to Toronto at the ISKCON Centre to speak on the power of sankirtan (collective chanting).  I read out my paraphrased version in rap style of Chaitanya’s well known 8 verses, called, Siksastakam:

There's victory in the chanting of Thee Name

Which cleanses the heart from bein' insane

From karma collected overtime in vain

Extinguishing the fire of material life

Birth n' death n' physical strife

This chanting, is the prime benediction

Sparing us from the nasty addiction

Spreading like cool moon rays it is

Elevating us to the state of bliss

Allowing everyone a taste you won't wanna miss

It's the joy we are truly searching for

With wisdom at it's very core


Master, Your name’s a blessin’ to all

You're known by the names that we can call

Like Krishna, Govinda (and Gopal)

All powers invested in the sound

Transcendal energy tightly bound

Kindly dispersed we have access to You

No hard, fast rules, not even a few

I’ll just give it all my heart

I’ll attempt to do my part

BUT!

I am afraid my attraction for this sound

Is something my heart can’t wrap around


It is best to chant with humility

To be as humble as you can possibly be 

It’s like a blade of grass, you see  

And be tolerant like a tree

And for false e-go, just let it go  

Respect all you do and do not know

In such a state, you’ll end up feeling great


Oh, One who is beyond all measures!   

I have no desire for worldly treasures

Nor for any kind of sensuous pleasures

Nor for followers, fans, and such leisures

I only want to offer my devotions life after life after life…


Oh Krishna, son of Nanda, I am Yours, 

Somehow or other I have fallen into the ocean away from its shores

Of birth and death and plenty more 

Pick me up from this drowning sensation

An atom at Your feet escaping damnation


Krishna, when will I shed tears of love forever

When the sound vibration won’t ever sever

When will my voice choke up with emotion

And hairs of my body stand up from devotion?

All from hearing the sound

From hearing the sound


Govinda! Feeling your separation a moment is twelve years

There are these incessant flowing tears

How can there be solace

When you appear not to hold us


I know only You and it will remain so too 

Even if your embrace is rough

And a broken heart isn’t enough

You are completely free to do anything

And completely free to do everything

Saving me from disaster

You are my guiding master

Unconditionally

May the Source be with you!

10 KM

No comments: