Tuesday 11 March 2014

Saturday, March 8th, 2014



Toronto, Ontario

My First

I took my first trek since returning from India.  So I went down Yonge Street near Dundas Street, a black chap held a stack of publications in one arm.  It is entitled, “Black Heroes”.  I justified not taking one as he extended one issue with his free hand.

“No thanks,” I said.  No racism intended.  In my mind I had three justifications.  In the first place, I carried no money to pay for the publication.  Number two, I was really needing to concentrate on japa meditation without major breaks.  Lastly, I already have the black hero in my life – Krishna.  I did not voice my simple concerns to him even though he demandingly responded with a, “Why not?”

The next person I took particular note of on the street was talking, but to no particular individual.  Paradoxically, he was speaking to everyone who passed by him.  His message was about Jesus.  I could see he was attracting no audience, and that should have no bearing on the personality Jesus himself.  It just appeared to be a gospel that’s been spoken many times over, so people had heard it before. 

The third person to speak to me directly was a woman appealing for change.  She was nice about it when I smiled and nodded, “No.”  I could actually hear her smile as I passed by and she remarked, “Well, maybe next time.”  She was most self-reassuring. 

It was nighttime and moving into the morning when I took this much needed trek.  I was addressing the jet lag syndrome chanting my japa.  Being awake to the non-worldly matters, I realized I was on another continent again, with different people, who have the same kinds of needs as on other continents and in other spheres. 

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: