Saturday 22 March 2014

Friday, March 21st, 2014

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

A Genuine Pilgrim

I met Joyce in 2006 when I trekked through Saskatoon at that time.  She, along with other walkers, runners, cyclists and yoga people, sat down to hear some of my Tales from Trails stories, and lessons learned on the road.  The venue was a place called Yoga Republic, a cozy setting in a building dedicated to healing, and which was formerly a convent for nuns located on Idylewild Road (most people around here call it Iddly Widdly). 

I was happy to connect with her again.  At that time, in 2006, she sent me an e-message, saying she had an aspiration to do the Camino de Compostela, the famous pilgrim walk in Spain.  She also asked me in that message if she could join me for part of my trek while I was in the province of Saskatchewan. 

Meeting someone like her is rare, with all this passion she has for pilgrimage.  She regularly walks.  I expressed at the time that it would be a little bit awkward since I’m a monk, and she’s a woman.  If a third person was there, especially a male, it would be different.  Culturally, traditionally, that’s the way it would work.  I hadn’t heard from her after that.  In any event, I kept walking eastbound to complete a third walk across Canada.  It wasn’t until now that I heard from her and that I saw her for the first time in person at this night’s event.  She mildly persisted in the most gentle way, “Would you be willing to guide a group in a walk across Canada?” 

I could not give a complete answer to that, and I expressed that we could talk after the presentation is over.  My thought on the matter is, “Here is a real live pilgrim who in the meantime did walk the Camino.  How can I inspire and/or facilitate someone like this?”  I will give some thought to it and see if on a small scale something can be accomplished.

Those in attendance at the Yoga Republic joined us in kirtan, followed by halava snacks.  They left feeling lighter in heart and a little heavier in stomach.  I would really like to thank our facilitator, Lorel.  I was also thinking, “This is the silent time of year (winter’s end) when you have big dreams that you have to put in to plan and action.”  Earlier on in the day, my host, Kasyapa, and I were walking on soil as well as on ice and dry snow.  With our feet we were crushing the stuff under us with a crunch and a crackle.  This is the most quiet season of the year, but it’s a time when you can make the most noise. 

May the Source be with you!

5 KM



No comments: