Thursday 25 April 2019

Wednesday, April 17th, 2019


Durban, South Africa

90% There

At the Johannesburg Airport yesterday, a young black Uber man, accustomed to securing passengers at arrivals, saw me and was about to make his pitch.  Before he could complete a sentence, I said, "I already have a ride!"

"That's okay.  So you're a monk?" he asked.  I would say he was quite ‘lit’, as they say.  "It's amazing to meet you.  You must be so enlightened."

I did not sense an ounce of sarcasm in him.  He was very genuine.  Without knowing me personally, he went on about how someone like me, a monk, is helping the world to be a better place.  I told him I was working toward enlightenment and that it's a long journey.

"You must be 90% there, whereas I am 5%."

We parted then, happily.  I left him a mantra card, something I consider the best gift to offer anyone.  My experience at the Canadian High Commission was also welcoming.  Gary Bloom was just phenomenally helpful and kind in moving things along in processing my passport.  Thanks to him.

Meanwhile, back in Durban, I'm pushing myself with our drama practices.  There are some really dedicated people, and then there are those who are chronically late birds.  What can you do?  This type of dynamic happens around the world.  We try to instil some discipline which is necessary to get things done.  Some word of caution made my way from Rasastali, the best disciplinarian amongst the group.  "For Govinda, use a soft hand, otherwise he'll shut down."  https://www.instagram.com/p/BwWsyxrA7CL/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=9h1x6a5ntvkp

Okay, good advice.  You are at an advantage when you know the people.

May the Source be with you!
6 km


No comments: