Friday 5 April 2019

Monday, April 1st, 2019

Toronto, Ontario

Another Century

I should have asked for his name.  He was precious.  Connor and I were on a mid-afternoon walk through Rosedale when an elderly gentleman in a trench-coat and hat, and carrying two bags of light groceries, came to a full stop to look at my monk's clothes.

"That must be really warm," he assumed.

"Well, yes it is and walking keeps me warm." I handed him a Walking Monk card.

"Where are you coming from?" he asked.

"From an ashram, a monastery."

"Well, I'm 99, and I'm ready to go (as in leaving this world).  Is there anything I can learn from your place?"

"Surely.  We say that we are not these bodies; that we are spirits, and that we have an obligation to the supreme spirit," I said as I pointed up above us to the blue sky with the odd white cloud.  I told him of our scrumptious food and how he's invited.  We had more exchanges, but of all the sights and sounds Connor and I encountered, in this very settled neighbourhood of gorgeous homes and mature trees, our friend stood out.

He was light-humoured, old and wise, a collectors item.  I'm glad there's still people like him around.  I know his type and could have spent a couple of hours with him.  As I said, he's precious.  I hope he lives another century.   https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvv33FAgjs6/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wsyr5pmlaqt

May the Source be with him and you!
7 km

No comments: