Thursday 25 October 2018

Wednesday, October 17th, 2018

Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh

With the Stars

I started my day under the stars, both outside and within the temple courtyard.  It was quiet.  At 3:00 a.m., however, there were still some lingering sounds—songs and bhajansof sorts in praise of some god.  It was live music, amplified from nearby temples, and always with a popular/Bollywood genre.  Other than that, there were the stars to remind me of my smallness.  It only required a slight stretch of the neck and there they were.

The word ‘stars’ is so loosely used.  They certainly do twinkle; bright lights that sometimes fade.

Sitting to my right in today’s meetings is Radha Krishna Das from Hungary.  He’s sharp and attentive to details, especially on today’s basic topic of varnashram, the four social and spiritual orders Sri Krishna speaks about in the Bhagavad-gita.

To my left is seated Bhakti Brngha Govinda Swami, born in Memphis, Tennessee, and known for his musical output of the popular kirtan.  He’s more of the artist type.  During the afternoon session of talks on the above subject, which lasted for some hours, he leaned over to me and whispered, “How about you and I jump up on these tables and get some dance going?”

Like him, I find the discussions go on and deserve attention.  Still, it’s good to have a break now and then and perhaps entertain a bit.

In any event, I was sandwiched between two ‘dudes’ who are really lit.  They’re my stars.

May the Source be with you!
5 km


No comments: