Monday 1 October 2018

Monday, September 24th, 2018

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Meeting Ben

Walking along Ben Franklin Parkway, I saw what looked like Ben, one of the founding fathers of America, himself.  I got closer to the man of his resemblance, who had just finished reading an historic plaque.  He was be-spectacled, and sporting a graying pony-tale.  He spoke first.

“Are you Buddhist?”

“No! Krishna.  Hare Krishna!…”

“Oh, yes.  You guys have a temple around here, right?”

And the man whose last name is Hickey went on to recall how he had seen us so active in the public before.

“Are you connected to Maharishi?” he continued.

From thereon,  I told him of the history with the Beatles first being involved with the Transcendental Meditation master himself, but then later becoming connected with the Hare Krishna.

“Our first temple in Europe was at John Lennon’s estate.  Then George Harrison donated a massive house to us, a manor, outside of London.” I explained.

Hickey was intrigued.  I told him of my walking ventures and how I completed the U.S. last year.  I left him with a mantra card, hoping he might take up chanting someday.

My visit to Philly is over.  In my short time here I gave three lessons in the Bhagavat philosophy, a lesson in chanting and dancing, and, to arouse the crowd, took to a conformist tribal dance session at the Chariot Fest on Saturday to top it all off.

I'm grateful for the friendships kept and made while here.

May the Source be with you!
6 km


No comments: