Monday 1 October 2018

Tuesday, September 25th, 2018

Toronto, Ontario

Family

Today was something to do with nostalgia.  Two sisters, one brother and a sister-in-law came over for lunch, and for me.  They are not all from town.  Rose Ann is from Chatham, Ontario, and Paul, as well as JoAnn, are from British Columbia. We all get along.

A monk can have congenial relations with family.  At least in our order of monasticism we don’t completely cut ties and live in a cloistered way.  I do see the advantages of that lifestyle at times, but our guru, Prabhupada, taught that we should consider being inclusive instead of exclusive.

Personally, I'm very happy about my family, and we had a good time.  I place importance on the occasional get-together. I even sacrificed my walking time for the lunch together and the shooting-the-breeze.  In fact it was a great day overall for interaction with just the people who come to dine at our Govinda’s Restaurant, as well as for persons who came for darshan(deity viewing).

“Can you bless my baby?” asked the father of two, while his wife held onto their child.

“Surely.” And so I gave a blessing with my right hand on his head, and ring finger at the third eye, while chanting a mantra.

“Can you bless my other child?”  And thus I did service to this family with which I have no blood relation connection. It’s all part of being a monk/priest.

May the Source be with you!
2 km


No comments: