Thursday 12 June 2014

Tuesday, June 10th, 2014

Fruitvale, British Columbia

For Personal Growth?


“Would you like a ride?”  asked the young guy with the pickup truck. 

“No, thanks, I’m walking.”

“Is it for personal growth?”  he asked. 

“You betcha!”  I said, and gave an abbreviated version of my usual spiel.  Then he went about his way.

I passed by a gas station, and the proprietor, a Punjabi man, saw me and asked that I come inside.  He was startled to see a man in Indian sadhu garb.  He brought me to his back room where he’s designed an altar of Guru Nanak, Guru Gobind Singh, and other luminaries sacred to the Sikh tradition.  It was, and always is, a delight to meet someone from India.

Where time and space allowed for deeper penetration of discussion was, believe it or not, with students of the Salmo Secondary School.  We all entered the gymnasium – teachers, students and all, and began to speak.  They were very attentive.  I tried to convey the physical and spiritual benefits of walking.  It’s all adventure.  I even mentioned to them how on very rare occasions motorists attempt to seduce or proposition me.  That kind of surprised the students. 

From the high school, the plan was that all the students would go on foot several blocks for more presentation.  So young and older kids converged to hear about the value of pilgrimage.

Finally, our last stop was at a short drive to Ymir, a village of 350 population.  Where on short notice, to our astonishment, people did turn up at the community hall, particularly for our mantra meditation.  The voice projection from these people was phenomenal. 

From the dawn of the day, when I did marvel at the sight of two grizzly bears, to the confident singers at Ymir village, I would say that the day was super.

May the Source be with you!

35 KM

No comments: