Monday 23 June 2014

Saturday, June 21st, 2014

Princeton, British Columbia

Hitching


To my recollection, it’s been over forty years since I did some hitchhiking.  In the late sixties to early seventies it was a fad to stick your thumb out appealing for a free ride from some kind motorist.  Anyways, that’s what I did in my teens, in my jeans, with hair and beard. 

Now, seeing the need to get back to our campsite after completing a brisk trek on the Trans Canada Trail over adventurous bridges and under old railway tunnels, I hitched a ride.  I’m a different person  since those youthful adventurous days.  I’m now bald, in robes, and try to carry a smile to look cheerful, even though the body aches. 

The fourth driver to come along showed me mercy.  He said, after I boarded his van, “I saw you, and well, you’ve got to admit, you’re not the ordinary Joe.  In fact, you’re a character, you’re interesting.”

My new friend told me he practiced some Buddhism, implementing some form of solemnity.  But he found that people took advantage of that.  He said he lacked assertiveness when needed.  He’s had to adjust and has sought balance. 

I suggested he be soft like a rose, and hard like a thunderbolt, depending on the situation.  Or, as our guru, Srila Prabhupada, used to say, “Be a lion on the chase, but a lamb at home.”

Anyways, job done.  I got dropped off at the campsite, just in time for Daruka to drive us to Leon, the monk.  Indeed, we drove to his cabin to meet him.  It is a piece of craftsmanship built by himself.  He also employed cow dung that was used at the joints of this octagonal shaped home.  Leon was one of those American boys who avoided the draft for Vietnam recruitment.  He has a profound love for Picasso, and also expressed about the cabin, if it should be challenged by a forest fire one day, “So be it,” was his attitude.  He was very pleasant. 

May the Source be with him!

37 KM

No comments: